Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Initial Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Reviewed:2019 November 29
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR – Board Governance and Processes
The Board expects stakeholders will be provided with a clear, fair and expeditious process when appealing student transportation decisions made by the Superintendent or on behalf of the Superintendent.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- Student transportation appeals will be heard by the Transportation Committee.
- A decision of the Transportation Committee is deemed to be a decision of the Board.
- The Transportation Committee will only consider an appeal if
- the appeal is submitted to the Board through the Transportation Director or Superintendent in writing
- the appeal is made by the parent or guardian of the affected student
- the student is currently residing on the property from which the transportation is being requested.
- The Chair of the Transportation Committee will schedule meetings to hear appeals without undue delay.
- The Chair of the Transportation Committee will provide the parent or guardian of the affected student the opportunity to present to the Committee.
- Prior to the appeal hearing or at any time after the commencement of the process, until a final decision is rendered, the Transportation Committee may
- request additional information from the parent or guardian
- request additional information from staff.
- When rendering a decision the Transportation Committee will typically adhere to the following guidelines
- students can only claim one residence
- students will be aggregated at centrally located pick-up points where practically possible
- transportation is only provided to the school within the attendance boundary that the student resides.
- If the Transportation Committee makes a decision that falls outside the guidelines, the Committee must include a termination date in the motion granting the exception.
- The Transportation Committee shall not change school attendance boundaries. All proposed school attendance boundary changes must be brought to the Board.
- As soon as is practically possible, the Chair of the Transportation Committee will direct staff to inform the parent or guardian of the
- rationale supporting the decision
- right to appeal the decision to the Minster of Education.
- The Transportation Committee will only reconsider a previous appeal decision if significant new information is provided to the Committee.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed