Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Initial Approval: 2016 March 11
Last Reviewed: 2019 December 17
It is recognized that schools sometimes require volunteer staff drivers in order to reduce expenses for transportation of students on field/athletic trips. Safety of students is of utmost importance and as such, the following shall apply to staff drivers.
This procedure applies to all staff who drive school owned Division commercial vehicles.
Authorized Drivers: All staff authorized by the Director of Transportation for the Chinook’s Edge School Division or designate. This includes:
- Full time, part time or occasional certified school bus drivers
- School staff
- Managers / supervisors
- Anyone else authorized to operate a Chinook’s Edge school bus.
- Trucks, tractors, trailers or any combination of them that are registered for a weight of 11,794 kilograms or more and who operate only within Alberta
- Truck, tractors, trailers or any combination of them that are registered for a weight in excess of 4,500 kilograms and who operate outside of Alberta
- Vehicles with a manufacturer’s seating capacity originally designed for 11 or more persons, including the driver.
- Drivers of school owned Division commercial vehicles must be Authorized Drivers for the Division.
- All Authorized Drivers are required to comply with the Division Transportation Services safety program, policies and procedures.
- In accordance with the Chinook’s Edge operating authority as a provincial carrier, all travel is restricted to within the boundaries of the Province of Alberta.
- All authorized drivers must complete a bus trip at least once every six months in order to stay on the Authorized Drivers List. If a driver is taken off the Authorized Drivers List due to inactivity, a refresher course from Transportation Services will need to be completed in order to be reactivated.
- Travel to a destination outside the Province of Alberta must be booked with a federal carrier.
- Authorized Driver duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsibility for overall care and monitoring of the bus
- Arranging for appropriate on-site parking of the bus while at the destination
- Arranging for service and regular maintenance as required, the costs of which will be covered by the individual school
- Ensuring that the required documentation for insurance and operating authority is valid and onboard the bus
- Completing and submitting to Transportation Services , a “Driver’s Time Record”. This log must be completed and submitted twice a month to the Director of Transportation regardless of whether or not the Authorized Driver has transported students.
- Completing a pre-trip inspection form each day the bus is used
- Submitting the written pre-trip inspections twice a month to Transportation Services
- Keeping the bus clean and in a condition ready for the next use before parking the bus at the end of the trip, the fuel tank must be left at least half full
- Ensure that the bus is never loaded beyond the manufacturer’s rated capacity
- Ensure that while transporting students on the school bus the bus never carries cargo that is prohibited by law as outlined in the Division Transportation Services safety program
- Notify the Bus Shop personnel of any concerns with respect to the vehicle
- Report any collisions or injuries to the Director of Transportation or designate immediately.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
Chinook’s Edge School Division Transportation Services Safety Program
2016 Mar 11 Initial Approval
2018 July 03 Reviewed
2019 Dec 17 Reviewed