Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Amended: 2019 December 17
Last Reviewed: 2019 December 17
To ensure that principals and vice principals have an opportunity to enhance their skills through working in a variety of settings.
This procedure applies to all principals and vice principals.
Vacant administrative position – means a principal or vice principal position in a school to which no one has been designated.
Voluntary transfer – A transfer of school administrators that results from an application made by the principal or vice principal. Voluntary transfers does not limit the Division’s ability to make transfers that are not voluntary in the event the Board considers it necessary or desirable to do so.
- The Superintendent or designate shall invite Principals and Vice Principals to apply for voluntary transfers to another school on an annual basis, through a transfer intent form, developed by the Superintendent or designate or through conversations with the Superintendent or designate.
- The Superintendent or designate may use voluntary transfers (as described in the procedure) to fill vacant administrative positions.
- The Superintendent or designate will discuss possible principal and vice principal transfers with administrators who have expressed an interest in a transfer and administrators who have been in a particular assignment for a period of time.
- Principals and Vice Principals wishing to be considered for a voluntary transfer shall submit a transfer intent form to the Superintendent or designate by a the deadline each year stated on the form. The deadline may vary from year to year.
- The Superintendent or designate shall determine if the potential exists for a transfer based on
- The information gained from the transfer intent forms
- Any other information and considerations the Superintendent or designate considers relevant.
- If the Superintendent or designate determines that the potential for a voluntary transfer exists, prior to authorizing the transfer, the Superintendent or designate
- Shall confirm, in writing that any of the Principals or Vice Principals who would be transferred are in agreement with the potential transfer.
- Shall consult with the Board Chair and the local trustee(s) and affected Principals for the schools involved in the transfer.
- The Superintendent or designate will provide the Principal or Vice Principal confirmation of the approval of the voluntary transfer by letter. The letter shall state that the school that the Principal or Vice Principal has been transferred to
- Is their assigned school and
- b) Is their basis for the calculation of the Principal or Vice Principal’s administrative allowance from the time of appointment.
- All Principals or Vice Principals who expressed an interest in a transfer will be informed of any decisions by the Superintendent or designate when the process is complete.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
2019 May 1 Amended/Reviewed
2019 Dec 17 Amended/Reviewed