Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Amended: 2019 December 17
Last Reviewed: 2019 December 17
To ensure that it is identified when circumstances necessitate a reduction in its professional staff work force. Without restricting the foregoing, some of these circumstances, either singularly or combined are:
- A decrease in enrolment
- A decrease in financial support for education
- School closure
- School program reduction
- Reorganization within schools or Central Office 6. Board directives altering the student/teacher ratio. Should a reduction in professional staff work force be deemed necessary, it will be achieved in accordance with the guidelines outlined below and on the recommendation of the Superintendent.
This procedure applies to all staff.
1. The staff will be reduced in the following ways:
1.1. By attrition
1.2. By voluntary early retirement
1.3. By transfer
1.4. By termination.
2. When making decisions regarding termination of contracts:
2.1. The following criteria may be considered in no particular order of priority:
2.1.1. The instructional needs of the system
2.1.2. The instructional needs of the school
2.1.3. Appropriateness of academic and experience qualifications as determined by the Board and application of such qualifications to the needs programs of the jurisdiction. Every effort shall be made to ensure that staff that are qualified by training and experience are retained to teach programs approved by the Board
2.1.4. Relative competency as determined on the basis of written performance appraisals carried out within the previous five years.
2.2. Seniority will be used as the determining factor when qualifications, instructional needs and relative competency are deemed equal.
3. The Board delegates to the Superintendent responsibility for applying these criteria and after consultation with the Principals and Central Office staff, will recommend to the Board the names of those teachers whose contracts will be considered for termination.
4. The Superintendent will inform each teacher, in writing of:
4.1. The recommendation to terminate the contract of employment
4.2. The date, time and location of the Board meeting at which the Board will consider the recommendation
4.3 The right to attend the meeting and make representation to the Board
4.4 The right to legal counsel
4.5 The reason for termination.
5. The Board will inform each teacher of its decision thirty (30) days prior to the effective date of termination. Administrators (Central Office, Principals, Vice-Principals)
6. When declining enrolments and/or budget restrictions dictate that the total number of administrators in the Division is to be reduced, the following procedures will apply:
6.1. The Superintendent will discuss the matter with those affected, indicate which positions or areas will be reduced for the following year, and make final recommendations to the Board
6.2. At least thirty (30) days prior to the effective date of termination, the Superintendent will inform, in writing, any individual whose designation is to be terminated.
7. The Board will consider administrators on continuous or term contracts whose designations have been terminated for teaching positions under the same procedures as teachers listed above.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
2012 Oct 10 Reviewed
2019 Dec 17 Amended/Reviewed