Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Reviewed: 2019 December 18
To ensure that students understand that the use of alcohol, cannabis, tobacco, vaping and non-prescription drugs is detrimental to the learning process and therefore prohibited in schools, on school property or during school related activities.
This procedure applies to all staff and students.
- Principals will annually inform, in writing, the Board procedures and guidelines on substance abuse by students to all students, parents and employees.
- Schools shall ensure that educational programs include components designed to increase students’ knowledge of the facts relating to controlled substances.
- Students who are suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or cannabis, vaping, tobacco or nonprescription drugs while in attendance at school or a school-sponsored activity shall be immediately reported to the Principal. The Principal may segregate the student from the rest of the student body and take additional appropriate actions including suspensions. The Principal shall ensure that the health and safety of the student(s) is protected. The incident shall be recorded and the parent advised in writing.
- Students observed in possession of alcohol, cannabis, or non-prescription drugs while in attendance at school or a school-sponsored activity shall be suspended by the Principal. It may be recommended to the Superintendent that the student be expelled. The incident shall be recorded and the parent advised in writing, of the incident and the actions taken and/or recommended.
- Students observed in possession of or in the act of providing vaping products or tobacco while in attendance at school or a school – sponsored activity will face appropriate actions which may include suspensions by the Principal. It may be recommended to the Superintendent that the student be expelled. The incident shall be recorded and the parent advised in writing, of the incident and the actions taken and/or recommended.
- A student observed in the act of providing alcohol, cannabis, or drugs to another student shall be reported immediately to the Principal. The Principal shall suspend the student and may recommend to the Superintendent that the student be expelled. The incident shall be recorded and the parent and the Superintendent shall be advised in writing, of the incident and the actions taken and/or recommended.
- In all situations involving student substance abuse, the staff should be cognizant of the Criminal Code of Canada. The RCMP may be contacted if a criminal offence has been committed or a perceived danger to the well-being of staff or students exists.
- Students whose behaviour during alcohol/drug related incidents becomes abusive or students who are repeat offenders under this procedure are subject to more stringent disciplinary action.
- School officials will cooperate with law enforcement agencies for the surveillance of trafficking or use of controlled substances on school premises.
- Remedial assistance should be sought for the student by the family and the counselor or appropriate staff member. This may include the help of AADAC, ALATEEN, Alberta Mental Health, etc.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
Criminal Code of Canada
2018 Feb 28 Reviewed
2018 June 27 Reviewed
2019 Dec 18 Reviewed