Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 26
The Library Learning Commons is an inclusive, flexible learner-centered, physical and virtual space for collaboration, inquiry, imagination and play to expand and deepen learning. Acquiring and applying information literacy skills and using literature as a support to educational programs are essential to students becoming effective learners. To develop and use these skills, the Library Learning Commons assists in providing access to a variety of resources and spaces that supports and enhances instructional programming.
This procedure applies to all staff.
- School Library Learning Commons collections should reflect guidelines and standards as established by Alberta Education and Chinook’s Edge School Division.
- School Library Learning Commons programs should take into account existing curricular guidelines and be taught in the context of these curricula.
- The principal shall ensure identification of required staffing, budget and other needs to support the goals and objectives for the school’s Library Learning Commons
- The principal shall ensure all staff understand the purpose of Library Learning Commons and how it can support the achievement of competencies and student learning.
- The principal shall ensure instruction within the Library Learning Commons program is facilitated by a teacher with the assistance of Library Learning Commons staff.
- The principal shall ensure Library Learning Commons staff understand the literacy goals of the school and are involved with certificated staff in the purchasing of resources to support the goals.
- The principals shall ensure, in consultation with the Library Learning Commons personnel and certificated staff:
- the Library Learning Commons supports the instructional philosophy and curricular programming of the school.
- the Library Learning Commons provides a comprehensive collection of materials for student use that meets the guidelines outlined in Administrative Procedure 2-18.
- encourage the application of new technology systems and establish procedures for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the Library Learning Commons program.
- the purchase of resources and materials for the Library Learning Commons involves the certificated staff of the school along with learning commons personnel.
- the Library Learning Commons resources meet the curricular needs of the school and are built through a planning system to ensure inventory and resources are regularly updated.
- the resource and material collection is weeded regularly for dated materials and materials no longer relevant or appropriate to the curriculum.
- shall plan together for the integration of the Library Learning Commons programming and classroom instructional programming in the school.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
Education Learning Commons Policy and Guidelines
2018 Mar 02 Reviewed
2019 Nov 26 Reviewed