Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 25
The Division recognizes the right of members of the public to access information regarding the operation of the Division and notes its responsibility, at the same time, to protect the privacy of individuals and to maintain as confidential, certain information regarding the business of the Division. Decisions with respect to the release or protection of information will be made in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Alberta and the Education Act of Alberta.
This administrative procedure applies to all students, parents and staff.
“The Act” - Subsequent references to “the Act” are to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Alberta.
FOIP Coordinator - The Board has appointed the Superintendent or designate to be the “head” under the terms of the Act, who will address applications for access to information. The Superintendent has delegated these duties to the FOIP Coordinator.
- Any member of the public may have access to the minutes of the public meetings of the Board during the regular office hours of the Division Office, once the Board has adopted those minutes. No charge will be levied for this access, however, should an individual wish to have copies of such minutes, the copies will be made available for a fee of $0.25 per page.
- Any member of the public may apply to the FOIP Coordinator to have access to a record by submitting a completed copy of the prescribed form, along with the application fee as prescribed by the regulations (Regulation 11 of the Act).
- Where access to a record or part of a record is given by providing the applicant with a copy of the record, fees are payable at the time when access is given. Fees levied shall be equal to the schedule of fees prescribed in the regulations of the Act. Where applicable, the FOIP Coordinator shall follow the procedures and rates prescribed in the regulations pertaining to estimating extraordinary costs related to a search for and/or the preparation of a record. A copy of the prescribed fee schedule can be viewed beginning on page 18 of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Regulation.
- The FOIP Coordinator has discretion to waive the levying of fees in prescribed circumstances.
- Where a record contains information to which an applicant is refused access, the FOIP Coordinator shall give access to as much of the record as can reasonably be severed without disclosing the information to which the applicant is refused access.
- The FOIP Coordinator may give access to a record by providing the applicant with a copy of the record, or, where it is not reasonable to reproduce the record, by giving the applicant an opportunity to examine the record. The applicant shall pick up copies of records at the Division Office.
- If the FOIP Coordinator should refuse an applicant access to a record or part of a record, the applicant may request that the refusal be reviewed by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner appointed by the Government of Alberta. Such a review may be requested through the use of the form found on the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta web page.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
Reviewed: 2018 June 20
Reviewed: 2018 June 27
Reviewed: 2019 Nov 25