Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Initial Approval: 2013 February 01
Last Amended: 2020 April 22
Last Reviewed: 2020 April 22
To ensure that staff adhere to the Fair Dealing Guidelines specified in the Copyright Act.
This procedure applies to all staff.
Fair dealing – please refer to Exhibit 1 of this procedure.
- When staff reproduce, in paper or electronic form (this includes uploading or posting copyright materials on line), excerpts from any copyright/protected work they shall do so according to the Fair Dealing Guidelines specified in the Copyright Act. (refer to EX 1 – 28.1 Reproduction of Copyright/Protected Work Exhibit 1 for Fair Dealing Guidelines).
- Staff members who wish to reproduce, in paper or electronic form, excerpts from any copyright/protected work in excess of the limits specified in the Fair Dealing Guidelines must receive permission from the Principal.
- Principals will only grant permission to exceed the limits in the Fair Dealing Guidelines, only if her or she:
- Determines, based on all relevant circumstances, that the proposed copying or communication is permitted under fair dealing.
- Has acquired permission to copy from the copyright holder.
- Has agreed to pay a royalty to the copyright holder.
- Staff should review Fair Dealing requirements annually.
- Administrators who have concerns with staff members who are not in compliance with copyright regulation, should talk with the staff member directly. If after talking with the staff member concerns continue, the Principal should contact their Liaison Superintendent.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
Approved: 2013 Feb 01
Reviewed: 2017 Oct 04
Reviewed: 2018 July 03
Reviewed: 2019 Nov 25
Amended: 2020 April 22