Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Amended: 2017 February 22
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 25
To encourage schools to play an active role in their communities and support community involvement in its schools.
This procedure applies to all staff.
- The community school philosophy encourages schools to:
- Be consciously oriented to the larger community they serve
- Cooperate with community agencies in the development of programs and services
- Provide school facilities for community use
- Establish and maintain close communication with families in the neighbourhood
- Build sensitivity to neighbourhood problems and issues
- Contribute to the development of a sense of community in their neighbourhood
- Joint booking and use of school and community facilities shall be governed by the terms of the Joint Use Agreements in the respective communities within the Division.
- The extent of the implementation of community school projects will be subject to the availability of funds and other required resources.
- Schools must recognize the value of school volunteers and establish a welcoming environment to encourage participation.
- School volunteers must work under the direction of a professional to ensure activities are appropriate and support learning.
- School volunteers must recognize and adhere to established policies and practices when working in the school environment.
- Schools should recognize the contributions of volunteers.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
AP 2 – 21 School Volunteers
Updated: 2017 Feb 22
Reviewed: 2017 Nov 27
Reviewed: 2018 July 03
Reviewed: 2019 Nov 25