Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Last Amended: 2010 March 30
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 25
The Division holds the Principal responsible and accountable to the Superintendent and ultimately to the Board for all activities within the school. However, the Division expects the Principal to seek support and advice from the community through the school council.
This procedure applies to the Division.
1. The Division values school council advice in:
1.1. creating an atmosphere in which community members are encouraged to share their ideas.
1.2. contributing to the curricular program by sharing their knowledge, expertise and skills with students and staff.
1.3. developing and defining the jurisdiction’s mission, beliefs and values.
1.4. creating a school context for student learning such as providing input relative to:
1.4.1. school philosophy;
1.4.2. school climate;
1.4.3. school expectations.
1.5. identifying services and opportunities in the community to enhance student learning.
1.6. offering advice on school budget allocations and the setting of school fees within the guidelines set by the Division.
1.7. identifying student fund raising activities that would be acceptable to the community and making those recommendations to an appropriate fund raising entity.
1.8. recruiting volunteers for school related activities.
2. The school council may consult with the Principal about fiscal management of the school in compliance with The Education Act.
3. The Division expects the Principal to provide the school council with periodic written financial statements regarding school budgets and school generated funds.
4. The Principal shall provide the school council with a summary of the results of achievement tests and diploma examinations.
5. The Division expects the Principal to solicit input from the school council regarding educational opportunities at the school.
6. When the Principal requests input from the school council, this input shall be taken under advisement and the Principal shall be prepared to clarify the rationale behind the position taken.
REFERENCE AND LINKS
Amended: 2010 March 30
Reviewed: 2017 Nov 27
Reviewed: 2018 July 03
Reviewed: 2019 Nov 25