Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Related Procedures: AP 1 – 13 Inclement Weather, AP 5 – 05 Special Use of School Buses, AP 5 – 06 Transportation of Students in Private Vehicles, AP 5 – 09 Out of Area Request, AP 5 – 11 School Bus Transportation
Exhibits: AP 5 – 06 Exhibit 1 – Driver Registration
Date of Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Amended: 2018 June 27
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 29
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR - Operational Expectations
It is the will of the Board that the Superintendent shall manage student transportation in a manner that promotes safety, efficiency and supports the accomplishment of the Division’s Organizational Goals.
Eligible students – students who are provided with transportation to and from the designated pickup site and the site of the school in which the Board has enrolled the student, as defined by administrative procedure.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Superintendent shall ensure the development of administrative procedures that identify eligible students, including identifying
- ages of students eligible
- the distance between where the student resides and the school that determines eligibility
- the criteria that are used to determine a student’s designated pickup site
- the conditions, if any, that students enrolled in optional programming or programs of choice are eligible
- the provisions for students with disabilities.
- The Superintendent shall ensure the development of administrative procedures that
- set weather based criteria for determining when the buses can safely operate
- outline how the decision whether or not to operate buses will be communicated to parents.
- The Superintendent shall inform staff, students and parents that school buses are the preferred form of transportation for school and Division sponsored activities.
- The Superintendent shall develop procedures for transportation of students in private vehicles.
- On or before the April Board Meeting the Superintendent shall review with the Board the administrative procedures for the upcoming school year, described in Requirements and Limits 4 of this policy.
- In a timely manner, the Superintendent shall inform the Board of any significant changes to student transportation routes and the communication plan.
- Prior to implementing changes, the Superintendent shall inform the Board of any proposed changes to administrative procedures involving student transportation.
- On or before the April Board meeting, the Superintendent shall provide an assessment of the effectiveness of the administrative procedures dealing with student transportation. Specifically, assess:
- how student transportation risks are being effectively assessed and mitigated.
- for off-site activities, student transportation risks are communicated to parents and parents are giving informed consent.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2018 Feb 2 Reviewed
2018 May 9 Amended
2018 June 27 Amended
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed