Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Date of Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 29
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR - Operational Expectations
It is the will of the Board that the Superintendent provide the Board with information that ensures the naming of a facility enhances the profile and image of education in the Division.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Superintendent shall develop a plan to be approved by the Board to develop a list of possible school names when naming or renaming a school. The plan shall adhere to the following guidelines:
- individual’s names should not be used for school names
- as long as there is only one school, one elementary school, or one secondary school in each community, those schools shall bear the name of the community
- the name shall not imply the Division’s endorsement of partisan political or ideological positions, nor of commercial products or services
- unless otherwise directed by the Board, naming options shall include suggestions solicited from the community.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that all staff are informed that only the Board may authorize the naming or renaming of a school, room of the school, any structure, school playground, or school field.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2018 Feb 2 Reviewed
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed