Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Date of Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Reviewed: 2019 November 29
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR - Operational Expectations
It is the will of the Board that the Superintendent shall manage physical facilities in a manner that supports the accomplishment of the Division’s Organizational Goals.
Major modernization – a modernization of a school listed on the Division’s Capital Plan and approved by the Alberta Education.
Major renovation – a renovation that is not part of the Division’s Infrastructure and Maintenance Renewal Plan or a renovation to support the movement of a school or program to a different facility.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Superintendent shall ensure that facilities are safe, clean and properly maintained.
- The Superintendent shall annually develop a capital plan recommendation to be approved by the Board that establishes priorities for construction, renovation and maintenance projects that is based upon the needs of the entire organization.
- The Superintendent shall develop a plan for a public event, to be approved by the Board, to celebrate the completion of a new school or major modernization. The plan shall include but not be limited to:
- a budget
- a list of dignitaries being invited.
- The Superintendent shall not unreasonably deny the public’s use of Division facilities or grounds. The Superintendent may permit use of the Division’s facilities or grounds only if:
- student safety, student functions, and instructional programs are not compromised.
- the activity does not cause the facility or grounds to fall into disrepair or security to be compromised.
- all appropriate licenses and approvals are in good order.
- the activity is consistent with the mission and vision of the Division and does not jeopardize the reputation or image of the Division.
- The activity is permitted by a joint use agreement.
- The Superintendent shall not, without prior approval of the Board, authorize the building of new schools or authorize major renovations funded by the Division.
- The Superintendent shall not, without prior approval of the Board, authorize the construction of any facility or play structure on Division property.
- At a Board meeting the Superintendent shall provide a report to the Board that includes
- planned custodial expenditures for the upcoming school year
- planned maintenance for the upcoming school year. The plan should address the correction of unsafe conditions as a highest priority and include preventative maintenance plans to enable facilities to reach their intended life cycles.
- At the March board meeting, the Superintendent shall provide capital plan recommendations, to be approved by the Board that includes
- a prioritizing of new school and modernization requests
- the student population growth assumptions on which the recommendations are based
- the financial and human impact individual projects will have on other parts of the organization.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2018 Feb 2 Reviewed
2019 Apr 10 Reviewed
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed