Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Related Procedures: AP 2 - 09 Field Trips – Planning and Requirements, AP 2 – 22 Field Trip Approval
Date of Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Amended: 2020 October 7
Last Reviewed: 2020 October 7
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR - Operational Expectations
It is the will of the Board that the Superintendent shall ensure that all reasonable measures are in place to mitigate risks to the organization and staff.
High Risk Activity –activities that are considered high risk and are only permitted when a hazard risk assessment is conducted and mitigation strategies are in place.
Prohibited Activities - activities that are considered high risk and are prohibited.
Records - are documents, data or information made or received and maintained by the Division in pursuance of its legal obligations or the transaction of its business, regardless of media or format type. All records created by an employee of the Board or an individual contracted by the Division are Corporate Records and the property of the Division.
Reckless - act of proceeding to do something with a conscious awareness of danger, while ignoring any potential consequences of doing so.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Superintendent shall protect intellectual property, information, files, and records from loss or significant damage.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that the Division has effective procedures in place to manage corporate records and information.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that all confidential student and staff information is lawfully collected, used and protected.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that all contracts issued on behalf of the Division bear the signatures of
- one of the Board Chair or the Board Vice Chair along with one of the signatures of the Superintendent or the Corporate Secretary, or
- for standard contracts that are associated with day to day operations, the signature of an authorized employee approved by the Board.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that, for each capital project, an employee is approved by the Board to authorize contracts and make design decisions for that project.
- The Superintendent shall ensure there are
- adequate safe guards in place to protect students and staff from external and internal threats to their safety
- emergency plans that guide student and staff to effectively respond to external and internal threats to their safety.
- The Superintendent shall develop administrative procedures to ensure that field trips, exchange programs and off-site activities will only be approved if
- the experience provides educational benefit to the students
- students and staff are safe at all times during the field trip and off-site activity
- the field trip does not include any Prohibited Activities
- there is adequate safety planning for High Risk Activities
- there are plans to deal with emergencies
- parents have given informed consent
- the timing of the field trip has a minimum negative impact on the student’s regular educational program.
- The Superintendent shall develop administrative procedures for field trips and off-site activities that identifies
- Prohibited Activities
- High Risk Activities.
- Only field trips within the Country and the continental United States may be approved by the Superintendent or designated Associate Superintendent. The Superintendent can only designate an Associate Superintendent.
- When the Superintendent or designated Associate Superintendent approves out of country and out of province field trips, exchange programs or offsite activities, the Superintendent shall inform the Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
- The Superintendent shall provide the Board in advance of any proposed school or Division event or project that may result in a significant liability to the Division, including proposed events and projects resulting from programming partnerships, joint ventures, sponsorships or other agreements.
- The Superintendent shall not recklessly expose the organization, the Board or employees to legal liability.
- The Superintendent shall annually report to the Board the effectiveness of the administrative procedures in managing the Division’s contracts as well as a list of all categories of contracts falling under 4b and including the titles of the employees authorized to sign these contract.
- The Superintendent shall annually report to the Board the adequate safeguards and emergency plans in place that ensure the Division’s students and staff are protected.
- In the fall, the Superintendent shall present the proposed administrative procedures for the upcoming school year, described in Requirements and Limits 7 and 8 of this policy, for review by the Board.
- Prior to implementing changes, the Superintendent shall inform the Board of any proposed changes to administrative procedures involving field trips and off-site activities.
- Annually, the Superintendent shall provide an assessment of the effectiveness of the administrative procedures involving field trips and off-site activities.
- In June, the Superintendent shall annually report to the Board on the Division’s compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act including
- meeting the requirement to give notice of the FOIP Act when collecting personal information
- management of disclosure of personal information
- consistently requesting informed consent when requesting personal information
- stakeholder requests for information under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2017 Oct 4 Reviewed
2017 Oct 10 Reviewed
2018 Feb 7 Amended
2018 April 30 Reviewed
2018 May 9 Amended
2018 Oct 19 Reviewed
2018 Dec 12 Amended
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed
2019 Dec 11 Amended
2020 Oct 7 Amended