Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Date of Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Amended: 2021 June 23
Last Reviewed: 2021 June 23
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR - Operational Expectations
It is the will of the Board that the Superintendent shall ensure that the Board is supported in its work and is fully and adequately informed about matters relating to Board work and significant organizational concerns.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Superintendent shall ensure that the Board has the support necessary for it to perform its duties in an effective manner.
- The Superintendent shall provide the Board in a timely manner with accurate information about trends, facts and other information relevant to the Board’s work and the operations of the Division. This includes, but is not limited to
a. any reports, plans, or research required by Board Policy
b. advise the Board when it is taking actions that are not consistent with the Board’s Policies, the Division’s administrative procedures and with other obligations imposed by agencies whose authority supersedes the Board
c. significant transfers of money within budget lines or other changes substantially affecting the organization’s financial condition
d. anticipated significant media coverage
e. notice of any actual or anticipated non-compliance with Board Policy
f. adequate information about all administrative actions and decisions that are delegated to the Superintendent, but required by law to be approved by the Board
g. advance notice of any proposed deletions of, additions to or significant modifications of any instructional programs
h. advance notice of any proposed deletions of, additions to or significant modifications of any administrative procedures
i. advance notice of any law suits or grievances involving the Division or staff.
- In a timely manner, the Superintendent shall provide the Board Chair, Vice Chair and local Trustee (and other Trustees if appropriate) of any significant emergent community, school or Division concerns.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that a plan is in place in case of unplanned or emergent absences, the longest serving Associate Superintendent will perform the duties of the Superintendent until the Board has appointed an Acting Superintendent.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that Board Policy is followed by creating administrative procedures that support the implementation of Board Policy and monitoring the adherence to those procedures.
- The Superintendent shall not change the Division’s Mission, Vision, Motto or Values without authorization of the Board. Prior to requesting such authorization, the Superintendent shall present a plan that
a. indicates how stakeholders will be consulted
b. timelines for the processes.
- The Superintendent shall, under the direction of the Board, develop Board Meeting and Education Committee Meeting agendas and support documents and distribute them to Trustees prior to the meeting.
- At least three business days prior to the meeting date, the Superintendent ensures that Trustees receive or have electronic access to agendas and supporting documentation for Education Committee and Board meetings.
- Superintendent schedules meetings with the Board Chair and Vice Chair, or designate to set the agenda for all Education and Board meetings.
- Annually in September, the Superintendent will inform the Board of any planned absences and provide an update with respect to succession planning.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2017 Oct 4 Reviewed
2017 Oct 11 Amended
2018 Feb 18 Reviewed
2019 April 10 Reviewed
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed
2021 June 23 Amended