Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Related Policies: PL 4–03.0.0 Role of the Superintendent
Initial Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Amended: 2021 September 8
Last Reviewed: 2021 September 8
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR – Board Superintendent Relationship
An annual evaluation of the Superintendent is a fundamental responsibility of the the Board.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Board will establish an evaluation process, criteria and schedule for the evaluation of the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent will be evaluated on:
a. Execution of and the Board Policy and Motions
b. Adhering to existing legislation
c. Meeting the requirements of the Superintendent Leadership Quality Standard
3. After completion of the evaluation, a written report will be compiled by the Board Chair.
4. The written report will be reviewed by the Board during the ‘in camera’ session of a Board meeting, and approved by Board motion.
5. A signed copy will be provided to the Superintendent and a second signed copy will be placed in their personnel file held by the Division.
6. At least 12 months prior to the expiry of the Superintendent’s term contract an evaluation of the Superintendent’s performance will be undertaken by the Board. A decision on the renewal of the contract will be 12 months prior to the expiry of the Superintendent term contract.
Annually, by the end of September, The Board will review the Superintendent Evaluation policy and clarify expectations for the Superintendent and the Board, with respect to the upcoming year’s timelines and process.
- The Superintendent will inform the Board of any changes to the Superintendent Leadership Quality Standard.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2017 Oct 4 Reviewed
2017 Oct 10 Reviewed
2018 Feb 10 Reviewed
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed
2020 Jan 14 Reviewed
2021 Sept 8 Amended