Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Related Policies: PL 2 – 03.4.0 Trustee Remuneration
Initial Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Amended: 2021 June 23
Last Reviewed: 2021 June 23
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR – Board Governance and Processes
The Board expects to organize itself to support effective governance.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Board’s Organizational Meeting is a Board of Education Meeting.
- Annually, at an Organizational Meeting in the fall, the Board will by motion:
- establish rules for the election of a Chair and Vice Chair
- elect a Chair and Vice Chair
- establish the rules for populating all ad hoc and standing committees and board representation to external committees and organizations as required
- elect members to all ad hoc and standing committees
- elect chairs for all committees from the members of those committees
- set rates of trustee remuneration through policy PL 2 - 03.4.0 Trustee Remuneration
- set dates, times and locations for Board of Trustees and Education Committee Meetings.
- appoint three (3) trustees to have signing authority. Two (2) of the three (3) will be the Board Chair and Vice Chair unless circumstances do not permit the Chair or Vice Chair to be able to have signing authority.
- At the Organizational Meeting, every trustee shall take and subscribe to the official oath before commencing the trustee’s duties, and deposit the oath with the Corporate Secretary, as per statute.
- Trustees elected Chair and Vice Chair shall take and subscribe to the official oath before commencing their duties, and deposit the oath with the Secretary of the Board, as per statute.
- At the Organizational Meeting, every trustee will choose a month to review a batch of cheques and electronic transfers. Each trustee will choose a different month.
- The Corporate Secretary, shall include in the agenda package for the Organizational Meeting:
- the Alberta CPI for the previous year
- the current Federal mileage rates
- the application for trustee health benefits
- an overview of the implication of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIP).
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2018 June 27 Amended
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed
2020 June 24 Amended
2020 Oct 7 Amended
2021 June 23 Amended