Board Policies & Administrative Procedures
Related Policies: PL 3 - 02.0.0 Board Support
Date of Approval: 2017 August 1
Last Amended: 2021 June 23
Last Reviewed: 2021 June 23
FOUNDATIONAL PILLAR – Board Superintendent Relationship
The Board expects its relationship with the Superintendent is clearly defined and ensures that the Division’s Goals are achieved in an acceptable manner.
REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITS
- The Board will direct the realization of the Division’s Goals and Expectations only through the Superintendent, functioning as the Chief Executive Officer.
- The Board will direct the Superintendent through officially passed motions and the Division’s Policies. Only those motions and policies are binding on the Superintendent.
- The Board may change any Division Policy at any time, and in doing so may shift the boundary between the Board and Superintendent areas of responsibilities.
- Given that the Superintendent is responsible for all matters related to the day-to-day operation of the Division and all employees are considered to report to the Superintendent, the Board will:
a. never give direction to any employee who reports directly or indirectly to the Superintendent
b. not formally or informally evaluate any employee other than the Superintendent
c. not participate in decisions or actions involving the hiring, evaluating, disciplining or dismissal of any employee other than the Superintendent, except as required by law or permitted by Division policy.
- Trustees shall be familiar with the conditions of the Superintendent’s contract.
- The Superintendent is neither obligated nor expected to follow the directions or instructions of individual Trustees, Board officers, or committees of the Board unless the Board has specifically delegated such exercise of authority.
- Should the Superintendent determine that an information request received from an individual Trustee or a committee requires a material amount of employee time, is a substantial cost, or represents an issue that would benefit from the whole Board’s consideration the Superintendent is expected to ask the Trustee or committee to refer such requests to the full Board for authorization.
- Using any reasonable interpretation of the Division’s Policies, the Superintendent is both authorized and expected to establish or revise any administrative procedures (administrative procedures must be established and revised in accordance with policy PL 3-02.0.0 Board Support), make any decisions, establish any practices and develop any activities the Superintendent deems appropriate to achieve the Division's Goals. This authorization
a. allows the Superintendent to carry out these tasks without seeking any additional Board approval or authority
b. does not prevent the Board from obtaining information from the Superintendent about the delegated areas.
2017 Aug 1 Approved
2017 Oct 4 Reviewed
2017 Oct 10 Reviewed
2018 Feb 2 Reviewed
2019 Nov 29 Reviewed
2021 June 23 Amended